Thursday, August 14, 2014

Banana "Ice Cream"

Since I have been back from the beach, I have had a hard time getting back on the Whole 30 horse.  I have "cheated" and had to start over a few times, but after resisting the (serious) urge to eat half of the pizza we had delivered for dinner last night (and by "resisting," I mean I had to go into the den while the rest of the family ate pizza at the dinner table, and I cried.  Yes, I cried I wanted that pizza so bad, but I did not eat it.  Am I strong or just ridiculously stupid?!), I think maybe I've got my head back in the game.  But one thing I have a problem with is no ice cream.  No dairy, no added sweeteners means no ice cream.  And it's not even like I eat ice cream all that often, but when you can't have something, doesn't it just make you want to have it that much more?!  But I have found a solution, and it's actually pretty delicious.  As long as you like bananas. :)




The basic recipe for the Banana "Ice Cream" is frozen bananas and about a 1/4 cup of milk.  Since I'm not eating dairy, I used almond milk, but you could do coconut milk, an almond/coconut blend, soy milk, rice milk, or whatever you like.  I put two bananas in the freezer for about 2-3 hours.  When I took them out, I chopped them into about 2 inch long pieces, and added them to the blender.  I added my milk (it may have been slightly more or slightly less than 1/4 cup, I didn't really measure exactly- just add until you get the consistency you like), and turned the blender on and let everything combine until smooth and creamy!  The consistency is much like soft serve ice cream, but it you like it a little harder or more scoopable, put it into the freezer for just a bit (but not longer than 30 minutes, since it will freeze pretty solid if you freeze it longer than half an hour).  Alone it's yummy, but I added about 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder for some chocolate flavor, and it was really delicious!  You could even add more milk to make it more like a milkshake, but I liked the soft serve consistency, and it resembled more of an ice cream like I was looking for.


As I was licking my bowl clean, I started to think of all the great combinations you could use the ice cream for, and all the flavors you can create!  All the ideas below are Whole 30 approved, but you could really go crazy and create some awesome flavors if you're not doing Whole 30!  Here's some of the things I came up with:

In addition to the basic recipe of bananas and milk, add:

-cocoa powder (like I did)

-cocoa powder and a scoop of almond, cashew, or sun butter

-pineapple chunks, unsweetened shredded coconut and pecans for Hawaiian Ice Cream

-cut up strawberries, pineapple chunks, cut up cherries, and sliced almonds for Banana Split Ice Cream!

-blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries for Mixed Berry Ice Cream 

Like I said, the options are endless!  Throw in just about any fruit and it's going to be really good.  It's a great substitute for ice cream, and it's dairy, sugar, and gluten free.  It definitely satisfied my craving for something sweet!


Try it out and let me know what you think!  What's your favorite combination??


Pin It


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...