Friday, July 11, 2014

Five on Friday: Whole 30 Week One Recap



For my Five on Friday today, I thought I'd share five things about my Whole 30 journey thus far (check out yesterday's post for the scoop), and some things I have already learned!


{ONE}


I am a planner, and I actually really like meal planning.  And I really think that is what has helped make the Whole 30 a lot easier (so far) than I was expecting.  I think preparation and planning is KEY.  Because if you're anything like me, when you want a snack, you want a snack right then.  No time to cook, chop, or anything, I want to grab it and eat it.  And if there's nothing waiting in the wings to satisfy my snack craving, I would be much more likely to grab something off the plan, like chips or cookies, or something like that.  So on Day 1, I stocked up at the grocery store.  TONS of fruits and veggies, especially baby carrots, celery, sugar snap peas, asparagus, and small finger food-type veggies that could be cut up and eaten on the go.  I also made homemade mayonnaise that can be used in many different ways, but especially as a dip for veggies!  All you have to do is add herbs and/or spices and you can create your own Ranch dressing, or a garlic aioli for dipping asparagus, or it can be added to tuna, chicken or shrimp for a yummy salad with veggies to dip in.  I also loaded up on almonds, which are a good crunchy and salty substitute for chips or crackers.  I made some kale chips for snacking too, perfect for that salty craving.  I got frozen fruit for easy smoothies, and lots of citrus fruits to add to my water so it's not so boring.  I bought 5 avocados and made some salsa to eat with eggs and to use for taco salads.  Plus, an avocado with balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper makes for a great snack by itself!  But having lots of options for when you get hungry has kept me on course this week.


My Homemade Mayonnaise

{TWO}


I have also had success with making double helpings of dinners at night, so I can eat the leftovers for lunches, even use them in breakfasts for the next day.  On Day 1 I made The Pioneer Woman's Hamburger Soup (just omitted the potatoes), and it was a great way to ease into the program since it's very similar to something that I would make already.  It made tons, so I had soup leftovers that I could eat for lunch or as a snack anytime all week.  





On Day 2 I made Jalapeno Turkey Burgers with Guacamole and Cumin Squash and Zucchini.  Again, I made twice what we would actually make for dinner, and was able to refrigerate four burgers to eat later.  The squash and zucchini was great mixed with eggs for an omelet for breakfast, and I plan on incorporating the remaining into a soup this weekend.  




Day 3 I made Chicken Sausage with Onions and a Sweet Potato and Kale Hash.  This wasn't too well received by the rest of the family, but I really liked it!  Also made plenty for leftovers, and the sweet potato and kale is good mixed with eggs for a very filling breakfast dish.


{THREE}


I have learned that temptation is hard, but it also makes you stronger!  This week we went to the movies, IHOP for 56 cent pancakes, a donut playdate, and even to a pizza place for dinner last night, and though I wanted to dive headfirst into Scott's cheese, mushroom, jalapeno and pepperoni pizza, I ordered the seared ahi salad with oil and vinegar dressing.  I didn't stray one single lick from the program, and by the end of the week, I really feel good about myself that I stuck to it and didn't cheat!  And the fact that I had so many opportunities and didn't stray makes me want to keep going and continue until the end.  I'm not sure I would necessarily recommend so much temptation the first week, because I left the Donut King really pissed I couldn't have an Apple Fritter, but my will is that much stronger now!


I wanted to scarf down on those pancakes just like Gracie is!

Mmmmm...donuts.

The happy people at the pizza place.  Not pictured: me, salivating profusely.


{FOUR}


Support is KEY.  Sure, you can do all this on your own, but it's much easier if you have a support system behind you.  Scott has been great, and very encouraging of the program.  And other than the pizza he ate (right in front of me) last night (which I don't blame him one bit :)), he has eaten everything I have made, and praised me as I have stuck to the plan.  I have friends who have done the program and friends who are about to start, and it's nice to have people that are in different stages of the plan to compare notes, recipes, and tips with.  There are also a few blogs I read and Instagrammers I follow with great feeds, and great tips, recipes, and support that keep me encouraged.  That kind of "well, if they can do it, I can do it" mentality.  Plus, the thing I keep telling myself over and over (especially as I was walking out of Donut King with my tummy grumbling), is that this is not forever.  I have 25 days left, and I can do just about anything I set my mind to for just 25 more days.  Plus, I keep dreaming about this delcious sundae which is what I will be devouring on Day 31...




{FIVE}


And finally, I have definitely learned that results are very motivating!  Now, if you're sticking to the Whole 30 program to the letter, you are not supposed to weigh or measure yourself throughout the program, only on Day 1 and Day 30.  But, the main reason I am doing the program is to jump start some weight loss.  And talk about being pissed, I will be really upset if I go 30 days without bread, oreos, ice cream, wine, cheddar, and all my very favorite things, and I don't lose any lbs!  So, in that aspect, I am cheating, because I have weighed myself first thing every morning.  And my weight has dropped every.single.day!  I have lost a little over 3.5 pounds this week alone, which I am pretty pumped about!  I can already tell a slight difference in the way my shorts fit (which were busting at the seams after my incredibly indulgent beach trip), and if there is anything that makes me want to keep this up, it's that I am making progress on my weight loss goal.  Hooray!!!


Now, I promise not to morph into a clean-eating, health food nerd, and obsess about the Whole 30 all the time, but I will post recipes and updates every now and again, since some of you have already expressed encouragement and support for me!  And I appreciate that SO MUCH, so thank you!!  And if you're doing the Whole 30, let me know and we can support each other!  Also, if you need more info, visit whole30.com, where you can get all the details, the instructions and all the information you need to get started.


And on that note, have an AWESOME weekend!!!  See you Monday!

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...