Friday, June 20, 2014

Five on Friday



What a week!  So glad today is Friday!  Linking up for Five on Friday today!


{ONE}






Seems that a certain little girl, little boy, and little hound dog got a hold of my phone without me knowing the other day, and mastered the art of the selfie.  Brantley looks pretty proud to me.  And Dolly looks like she's up to something... :) #butfirstletstakeaselfie


{TWO}




Every morning, I tale the leftover coffee from the coffeemaker and put it in a big pitcher that I keep in the fridge.  Then in the afternoons, when I have a caffeine craving but don't want hot coffee when it's 90 degrees out, I squirt a bit of french vanilla coffee mate in a glass with ice and add in my already cold coffee for a lovely iced coffee.  I have been drinking them almost every day this week, and they have been the perfect pick me up!  And I think it's funny that I drink hot coffee black 99% of the time, but with an iced coffee, it must have cream and be at least a little bit sweet.  We got a huge bottle of french vanilla creamer from Sam's (it's what Scott likes in his coffee), so I add a few pumps to my iced coffee and it's perfect.  Plus, it saves me a bunch of time money and frustration from hauling the kids to Starbucks in the middle of the afternoon for mama to get an afternoon jolt. :)


{THREE}









I think I've said this every Friday since I joined, but I am loving my new MOMS club!  We had a park and lunch date on Monday, a fun water playdate on Tuesday, and are going to a local pizza place for a kitchen tour and to make our own pizzas today!  But not only is it providing fun outings and new friends for the kids, but I haven't socialized with adults this much in a looooooooong time.  Being a stay at home mom is a dream.  It has been my dream since I was a little girl.  And even on the very, very worst days, I would never want it any other way.  But, at times, it can be very isolating.  And it can be lonely.  So joining a group of women in very similar situations as myself, we automatically have a bond.  There is a calendar and a schedule of events which appeals to the planner and organizer in me.  The kids are making new friends, and I am making new friends.  We are opening ourselves up to new experiences and different things to do in our community.  And I truly just feel so blessed to have new these new friends in my life.  It's something I've needed for a while.


{FOUR}




I watched the documentary Blackfish on Netflix the other night.  Have you heard about it?  It's about SeaWorld, and Tilikum, the killer whale that has been performing in shows and their main attraction in Orlando since the early 80's, and the unreported attacks on the SeaWorld trainers by him and the other whales.  It tells the heartbreaking story of how Orcas are such social and emotional creatures, even more than humans, and how keeping them in small cement tanks breaks their spirit and how inhumane their treatment really is.  I wouldn't call myself an "animal activist," but I do love animals.  It was so fascinating to watch and learn about killer whales, and that I will never look at SeaWorld the same way.  Not only do the lives of the performing whales (that make SeaWorld millions of dollars) break your heart, but the fact that the trainers aren't even told of the history of attacks on other humans before they worked with the whales.  I really didn't have an opinion one way or the other about SeaWorld before watching the documentary, and hadn't really thought much about it, but I certainly have an opinion now.  It's worth watching and is an interesting glimpse into a creature I knew very little about.


{FIVE}




I made this the other night for dinner.  Easy?  Yes.  Solution for dinner when the chicken is still frozen?  Yes.  Tastes good?  Meh.  I should've known, but thought maybe it would surprise me and just be beyond delicious or something.  I will say, though, that the kids gobbled it up, and Scott liked it too.  But, I don't usually have a problem cooking my veggies fresh and thawing the chicken before dinnertime.  But in a pinch, this was a good meal, and with ingredients you probably already have in your fridge and pantry.  But, over the next few days, we'll be having this with my Tex Mex Rice and Beans, this with a Grilled Pork Tenderloin and fresh steamed broccoli, this with garlic bread, and this with a salad for dinner.  I'm hoping for a few winners!


I hope you have a fantastic weekend, and are able to enjoy some summer sunshine and time with your family!  See you Monday!


Pin It


Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. You don't know what I'd give to have a Mom's Club nearby. I've thought about starting one several times but it seems the people in the area I live in are all very cliquey and don't want to expand outside their already existing groups. Guess it's a downfall of small town living :(

    I'm totally going to watch that show now. I've been to Sea World and LOVED it but never realized that any of that stuff went on. It would be an interesting watch for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched " blackfish" this week too!!!! It was like "12 years a slave" for whales!!! It is soooo important to promote this movie so people know about how bad these whales lives are...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...