Thursday, April 24, 2014

Shortcut Coconut Cake



Coconut Cake is one of my very favorite desserts.  My mom used to make it, and my grandmother made it for my birthday and my dad's birthday each year because it's his favorite too.  Maybe it's the light, airy coconut sprinkled on the top, or the fact that we used to always have it in the warmer months, but it screams springtime to me.  So this year for Easter, I decided to make one for our family, but jazz it up a bit, and also make it very simple!  I thought I'd share my Shortcut Coconut Cake with you today, for you to try at home.


Here's what you need:

1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist White Cake Mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup water
1 cup coconut milk, divided
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups shredded coconut, divided
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 tub white vanilla frosting


Here's what you do:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease 2- 9" cake pans.  In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water, 1/2 cup of the coconut milk, vegetable oil, and 1 cup of the coconut.  Mix until well combined and smooth (except for the coconut, of course).  Divide equally between the two cake pans, and bake for about 25 minutes.




Once cakes are done, remove from oven and leave in pans.  While cakes are still hot, using a fork or toothpick, prick the cakes to create small holes over each cake.  In a small bowl, combine the remaining coconut milk and the sweetened condensed milk.  Pour the sweetened milk mixture equally over both cakes.  The sweetened coconut milk will be absorbed by the cakes, and will give the cakes a more pronounced coconut flavor, and also keep the cakes very moist!  Allow the cakes to sit in the cake pans until cool, and the milk mixture has been absorbed.

Once cakes are cool, remove one cake (carefully!) from the pan and place on cake plate or cake stand.  In another small bowl, combine the vanilla frosting and another cup (or maybe slightly less) of shredded coconut.  Put about 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of frosting right in the center of the cake, and spread to the outside edges.  Carefully remove the other cake from the cake pan, and place it, inverted, on top of the frosted cake.  Place the rest of your frosting on the top of the second cake, and frost the top and the sides of the cake.


Sprinkle the remaining cup (or less, depending on how much coconut you want!) of coconut on the top and sides of the cake.




Nope, my cake was not pretty.  I forgot to add the coconut to the sides (which covers a multitude of errors!!), and it was a little (a lot) uneven.  But y'all.  It was GOOD.




Nobody will remember a pretty cake if it's not good.  But you will certainly remember a delicious cake, even if the decorating leave much to be desired!  And I mean, look how happy it made this little boy!




I hope you'll try out my quick and easy Shortcut Coconut Cake!  Let me know what you think if you try it!


Pin It


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...