Tuesday, March 11, 2014

What's for Dinner: Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup



Way back before Brantley was born and I was still working, my mom and I used to meet for lunch or dinner every once in a while at this little Mexican restaurant near her office.  They had typical Mexican fare, tacos, enchiladas, etc., but the one thing we used to always order (in addition to copious amounts of cheese dip and guacamole) was their awesome chicken and rice soup.  It was very basic, a chicken broth base, but with shredded chicken, white rice, cilantro, avocado and lime, it made for a perfect light lunch or dinner.  Especially when eaten with an entree-size portion of cheese dip. :)


So, I got a hankering for a nice, light chicken soup like the one my mom and I used to get, and decided to make it myself.  I looked at a couple of different recipes, but nothing really hit the nail on the head, so I borrowed a few ideas from one and a few ideas from another, and added a few ideas of my own, and came up with a pretty decent little soup that I thought I'd share with you today!




So Here's What You Need:


1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups water
1 rotisserie chicken, with meat shredded
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped green onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can Rotel 
3 cans chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon cumin
a pinch of Mexican chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 avocados, diced
1 lime, cut into wedges


And Here's What You Do:


First, cook the rice according to package directions.  While the rice is cooking (mine has to cook about 20 minutes), take the meat off the chicken, shred it and set it aside.






Next, take a stockpot, and add the olive oil and heat over medium.  Add the garlic and green onions.  Once the garlic is fragrant and soft, add the Rotel, and stir to combine.


Next, add the chicken stock, cumin, chili powder, and salt to taste.




Now we're ready to layer and build the soup!


Take your soup bowl, add a scoop of rice and a scoop of chicken.  Top it with diced avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze from a lime wedge.




Ladle in as much broth as you like (I like just enough to cover the rice and chicken), and you're ready to eat! 




I like to eat mine with lots of tortilla chips too.  Leftover from the cheese dip. :)




 I hope you'll try out the soup the next time you're in the mood for Mexican, but want something light and filling.




Yum! :)




Pin It


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...