Monday, February 24, 2014

What's for Dinner: One Pot Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff

Photo from Budget Bytes

I love cooking.  I love the process, I love chopping vegetables, I love combining ingredients in different ways to create new flavors.  And I really love cooking dinners for my family.  But, as much as I love it, I (like most moms) have a very small window of time in the early evening to get it done, and I am also on a budget!  So we have some family favorites that we rely on every week, but I also like to rotate in some new recipes and test the waters, and expand the variety of foods that my kids are exposed to.


So when I saw this recipe for One Pot Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff on Pinterest the other day, it went straight onto my meal plan for this week.  One Pot=good thing in this house of dish washing procrastinators.  Plus Scott loves any main dish with beef, and the kids love pasta, so we tried it out and it was a big hit!  I adjusted a few things in the original recipe (that you can find here from Budget Bytes), and thought I'd share it here, in case you'd like to try!  It's very, very easy, inexpensive, cooks up quickly, and is yummy!


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 pound ground beef (lean ground beef is best for this dish, since you won't be draining off the grease)
8 ounces fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups beef broth
8 ounces egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream (regular or reduced fat is fine, but don't use fat free sour cream.  It will separate and get yucky!)


Directions:
Mince garlic.  Add garlic and butter to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high.  Saute 2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.  Add ground beef and cook until browned.

Chop mushrooms, add to garlic and beef.  Saute until mushrooms are soft.  Sprinkle with flour, cook 2 minutes more.

Add beef broth, and stir to dissolve flour.  Add egg noodles, cover.  Bring it to a boil and reduce heat.  Cook, covered for 10 minutes, maintaining a simmer.  Stir every few minutes so noodles don't stick to the bottom.  Once the noodles have absorbed most of the liquid, add sour cream and stir to combine.  Serve hot. 

That's it!  We ate green beans with it, and it was a great dinner.




Not pretty, but it's a keeper!  Hope you'll try out this recipe, and see how your family likes it!


PS-Don't forget to enter the Goat & Lulu Floral Stripe Springtime Knit Infinity Scarf GIVEAWAY, now through Friday on my facebook page!  Check it out here!

Pin It


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...