Monday, January 20, 2014

31 Ways to Pray for Your Children

I LOVE my girls' preschool.  We have been so blessed to have wonderful teachers, good friends, and great experiences in the two and a half years that Brantley and/or Grayson have been attending.  And once a month they coordinate a mom's group called Cafe Mom, for the moms of the children attending preschool.  We get together over coffee, donuts, muffins, leftover cookies from yesterday's playdate, and whatever else everybody brings in, childcare is provided for younger siblings (a God-send) and we talk about topics relevant to this season of our lives, as moms of young children.  It has been a really wonderful group for me, where I have met other moms dealing with the same struggles as me, all in very relatable circumstances, and all with such giving, understanding and open hearts.


So, this past Wednesday we had our normal monthly "meeting," and the leader of the Cafe Mom (who also happens to be Grayson's AMAZING teacher two days a week) shared this handout with us about 31 Ways to Pray for Your Children, and I just thought it was too good to keep to myself.  




I have talked about praying on the blog before (see here), and talked about the fact that sometimes I just don't know what to pray, and what to say to God.  Sometimes my heart is just so overwhelmed with feeling that it's hard to put things into words.  I am still working on praying, but if there is anyone that I am going to reach out to God and talk about and pray for, it's going to be my children.  But there, I get stuck again.  I pray for their health and safety, of course, their happiness, their sweet spirits.  But sometimes, I just don't know what else to say, and how to put into words how much I want for them, and how I need God to help them, support them, and be there for them.  So enter this awesome resource, 31 Biblical Virtues to Pray for Your Children (find it for yourself here).  31 different ways to pray for your children, and virtues that any mother would certainly want instilled in their children.  I thought this was just brilliant, and such a great reminder (I know, isn't it horrible that I actually need a reminder to pray??  And for my kids??  I'm embarrassed to say it, but it's true) for ways to talk to God about your kids.  Pray for your kids to grow in grace.  To be generous and peace loving (doesn't the world need a little bit more of that?).  Pray for your kids to have a sense of responsibility and a servant's heart.  And each prayer has a short bible verse to relate back to the virtue.  


Print it out.  Put it on your fridge (like I did).  Write each prayer in your planner.  Pray silently when your kids go to bed.  Or pray together, and let them hear you pray for them (an idea that was encouraged in our Cafe Mom discussion).  Take a virtue a day and stretch them throughout the month, or pray for all of them everyday.  Pick your favorites and talk about them with your kids.  Encourage them to pray for these things as well.  Geez, pray for these things for yourself!  Lord knows I need to pray for grace, contentment, kindness and other things just as much for myself, if not more than for my kids!


I am a work in progress in so many ways, and especially in my faith, so I know that I need all the help that I can get when it comes ways to grow in my faith, especially through my children.  I truly appreciated this resource as a better way of communicating with God on my children's behalf, and I hope this may help you as you pray for your children, and to give you a focus each day for teaching them a Godly way to live their lives, and, in turn, learning yourself how to be a better mother and the best example you can be.  Again, as I said before, I know I need all the help I can get. :)


Pin It


Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever find a church family? Trust me when I say, if not pray that God leads you to a church that you belong in. My children are 22 and 18 and it wasn't until they were practically grown that I found ours and I still pray that God forgives me for not raising my children in the church. I have read your post and must say you sound like me, when mine were young, I have always taught them right from wrong and prayed with them and for them but I regret not taking them to church regularly. My daughter has graduated from college and my son will start college in the fall. My husband and I raised two amazing, intelligent and caring children but I feel as if their faith and honoring God is a place they are slightly lacking in and it is my fault. Don't make the same mistake I did...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous...I know you'll probably never read this because I think you posted it in 2014; nevertheless, as a mother of 2 grown daughters and 4 grandchildren, let me tell someone...IT...matters not NOW, if you had your children in church all their lives.or not at all. Stop beating yourself up. I totally think we have a responsibility to uphold, and by far the greatest opportunity we have is to lead them to Jesus.Yes, I believe we all as parents have the responsibility, and to show reverence toward our Heavenly Father, who, without slack instructed us "to teach our children in the way they should go"...... it's the latter part of this verse that I find so TRUE in my own life and family. That verse ends sort of like this....I'm not looking at verse...(not sure where it is other than the book of proverbs) "and WHEN they grow old they will KNOW where, what, when ,and how to do it." I believe if we are examples in front of our kids how to act how to treat others, what to say what not to say, and teach them to pray!!!! God is such an awesome God that whatever we missed doing as young mothers or even as grandmothers....we miss some stuff along the way...BUT GOD- HE KNOWS OUR HEARTS AND HE FILLS IN THE BLANKS REALLY GREAT!!!! And to the blogger, I'm definitely going to use this a as reference and share it with my 8 yr old grandson. Thank you. I needed to be reminded to not only pray but pull out those scriptures and show them....maybe my darling grandson might understand more WHY we stand close to the underdog, and WHY we teach him to ENCOURAGE OTHERS....,especially those that are crying for it behind those big ,yet anxious eyes. Watching him pray and talk to God is a marvelous joy!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...