Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pinterest Recipe Reviews

I am constantly on the lookout for new and yummy recipes for my family for dinner.  And, of course, I search Pinterest on a weekly basis, as I am creating my meal plan and grocery list for the week, for ideas.
So, in the past couple of weeks, I have gone to my Yummmmmy Dinners board and chosen some recipes for us that looked quick and easy (and good, of course) for dinners.  Some hits, some misses, and I thought I'd "review" a couple for you here today!
Cheeseburger Pie-find the recipe here

The Cheeseburger Pie 
This one was a big hit.  Adults and kids alike!  You use a store bought pie crust ('cause yes, I love to cook, but no, I am not whipping up home made pie crusts on a regular basis), and a mixture of ground beef, cheese, ketchup, mustard, pickles and pickle juice!  All the yummy things that go into a cheeseburger!  And with two condiment-loving girls, this was a homerun.  We served it with oven baked fries, and it was great.  There was enough for leftovers, and they were gone by lunchtime the next day!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos- find the recipe here
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos
We are working on eating healthy, and also eating more meatless dinners.  I saw this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito recipe and thought it would be great!  The verdict?  Eh.  First of all, Scott flat out refused to eat it.  He had Ramen Noodles that night.  I was just convinced it was going to be delicious, and made enough to last me for the week, eating leftovers for dinner.  I ended up throwing most of it out.  It wasn't that it was bad, but just kind of incomplete.  It has spices and some heat, but it was just a little bland for me.  I think if the spices were adjusted and maybe a sauce was added (like a cilantro-lime cream sauce?  A tomatillo salsa?), it would be much better.  Not bad, but definitely room for improvement.
Zucchini Lasagna- Find the recipe here 
Zucchini Lasagna
I am a big zucchini fan, and a big lasagna fan, so this looked awesome to me.  And as far as I'm concerned, it did not disappoint.  It was delicious.  I didn't miss the pasta noodles one minute, since in this recipe, you slice the zucchini very thinly (I used my mandolin that I've had for 6 years for the first time) and use them instead of traditional lasagna noodles.  I will admit that making lasagna of any sort is a process, and it takes a bit of time.  But it was worth every second of prep.  So maybe for a Sunday, or any day you have a bit more time than normal to whip up dinner.  We enjoyed this very much, and I ate the leftovers every day for lunch until they ran out!
Chicken Parmesan Casserole- find the recipe here
Chicken Parmesan Casserole
It sounded great in theory.  All the yummy components of a classic Italian recipe, but throw it in a casserole dish and bake it!  But, I should've trusted my gut when I thought, "hmm...I'm not sure how this will turn out if you don't saute the chicken at least a little..."  But I made it anyway, and it was an EPIC FAIL.  As in, I couldn't save it at all and we literally had to call out for pizza.  I'm not sure what the author did to make this recipe successful, but after the cooking time was over (and then 15 minutes more, and then 20 minutes more after that) the chicken was RAW.  The topping was burnt and the chicken was inedible.  I tried to salvage the chicken by cutting it up and put it on the stove, sauteing it to cook it through and just eat it that way, but I was just too afraid of cross-contamination and making everyone sick that I just trashed it all.  What a shame.  So as good as the picture looks and the idea sounds, pass on this one.
Weight Watchers Taco Casserole- find the recipe here 
Weight Watchers Taco Casserole
This one is a keeper.  The one thing I love about Weight Watchers recipes is that since most of the time they are trying to reduce fat and calories within the recipe, they don't forget to add in lots of flavor.  This taco casserole subs in ground chicken for ground beef, and uses fat free and reduced fat cheeses.  But seriously, you would not miss it, because the familiar taco flavors are there, and you can pile on the salsa to add more heat if you want, since it's fat free too!  A delicious, easy, and healthy dinner option for the whole family.
I hope these reviews give you a few ideas for dinner and a few recipes to stay away from on Pinterest!
Pin It
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I have the BEST sweet potato and black bean burrito recipe, it's not that one I checked haha.I'll have to share it with you. Lots of flavor, I promise it will change your mind, it's a family fav around here AND it was a hit at a dinner party which confirms it's good :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST send it to me! I was so disappointed that this one wasn't great because it just sounds delicious! I am totally game to try a different version. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...