Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Currently: Random Bits of My Life, Part 2

This is my second "Currently" post (see the first one here!), and I thought it would be fun to do these every once in a while to check in and let y'all know what goes on in the mundane everyday life of Goat & Lulu. :)


A very small sampling of our tomato bounty!


loving...  All the amazing tomatoes from our family garden!  I made a double batch of roasted tomato sauce last week, and we should have about 20-30 more tomatoes by the end of the week.  I see a lot of salsa in our future, and maybe some bruschetta!  And nothing says summer like a fresh tomato sandwich on white bread with mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. YUM.


reading...  Bloom, by one of my favorite bloggers, Kelle Hampton, of Enjoying the Small Things.  My sister in law gave it to me for my birthday, and I read about half at the beach.  I picked it back up again the other day, and have been trying to finish it up every spare moment I have (which is why it's taking me a long time!).  Highly recommended.


waiting for... School to start for the girls next week!  I know they are both looking forward to it, and truly, I am looking forward to have two mornings a week one on one with Bennett!  And I think we are all craving a solid routine again, since we have pretty much done whatever all summer!


excited about...  College football!  Fall is my very favorite season, and I always look forward to laid back Saturdays watching football all day long!


trying to... Spend less money at the grocery store.  But that is TOUGH with three kids (especially one that eats any and everything in sight), and with 4 of the 5 of us eating almost every single meal at home, plus snacks!  I don't think I have the time or energy (or patience) for "couponing," but when I create meal plans for the week, I have been trying to create more meatless meals, meals utilizing leftovers from earlier in the week, and big meals that can stretch a few nights.  Thank goodness I do like meal planning, otherwise this would be really hard.


Our donut picnic from last week :)

working on... Being more patient with the kids.  Instead of snapping and/or yelling, I am trying to take deep breaths, count to 20, speak softly but firmly, and try not to lose my temper when they whine, do something wrong, or misbehave.  This is will certainly be a work in progress!


enjoying...  These extra mild August temperatures.  I mean 70 degrees?  I'll take it.  The rain, though?  Umm...enough is enough.


using... our quilts over and over.  The kids love having picnics outside, reading outside, laying them out on the ground at the park, so I keep one on the back porch to use in the backyard, one in my car for the park, and we even spread them out in the den (especially since it's been so rainy), make forts and have indoor picnics.  I don't think you ca ever have too many blankets, and quilts are quickly becoming my favorite things to look for at antique stores.


wearing... I know y'all will not be surprised when I say this, but my new favorite jeans??  That's right.  They're from Walmart!  You'll see them (several times, actually) in my What I Wore Wednesday post tomorrow, because with this cool weather, I have been wearing them over and over.  They are the new Jordache Basic Skinny Jeans, and they are under $17!!!  They are SO comfortable, without stretching out much after you've worn the a while.  They have several different rinse/color options, and I will probably end up getting at least two more pairs.


Sweet 11 month old face!


planning...  I can't even believe I'm writing this, but Bennett's first birthday party is one month away.  Wasn't he just born???  I cannot believe my sweet little boy is almost one, so I am working on planning his birthday party.  I mean, some days I still can't even believe I have a little boy!  But he is growing and time is flying, and I need to get on the ball if we're going to have more than cake and ice cream!  *tearsssssssssss*


singing... Your love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me.  Your love never fails it never gives up, it never runs out on me...
When we first started trying to find a church for our family, Scott and I had a hard time with the very contemporary services, and especially the music.  But, the more we go (and we have only missed a few weeks in the past several months, only because we've been out of town!), the more the music grows on me.  And now that I've heard a some of the songs a few times, I feel more comfortable singing along.  You're not going to see me with my hands up in the air, but it's nearly impossible for a music lover like myself to not get a little caught up and sing along an tap my foot to the drum beat.  Scott calls it our "rock n roll church." :)


needing...  To go get my driver's license renewed.  Not a fun errand with three kids in tow, so I'm hoping I can hold off until school starts back next week, and me and Ben can make it a date. :)


learning... that pancakes are the perfect meal for my kids any time of day.  Of course they're the first choice for breakfast, but if sandwiches aren't cutting it for lunch, pancakes fit the bill.  If Scott is out at a work function for dinner, we'll get out the griddle, and make blueberry pancakes with sausage and bacon.  I just try not to serve them all three meals in the same day. :)  But pancakes never disappoint.




listening to... The sweet giggles of my babies when they are playing together. :)  With Ben being much more mobile, he follows the girls wherever they go, and Grayson always makes him laugh so hard.  It is the sweetest thing in the world. :)


doing... a lot of home decor projects!  I am tired of staring at my decorating to-do list and not doing anything, so I'm getting going on it.  I'm (finally) working on the girls room and completing it, then doing some rearranging in the living room, then moving to the entry way and the kitchen, guest bathroom, deck, master, etc. etc.  I love changing things up, and it's high time for a few changes  It will probably take me forever to get everything completed, but I like the idea of decorating over time, and incorporating special and meaningful family pieces from travel or collections into home decor.  Plus, I love a good home DIY (or 15). :)


wishing... I could have my friends Lauren and Lauren, who helped me organize my craft space, would come help me organize every other room in my house!  I need to DE-CLUTTER!!



dreaming of... a laid back and relaxing weekend, before school starts back for us, full of lots of good quality time, early morning snuggles, and checking off a few more summer bucket list activities.  I want to send summer 2013 off with a few more fun family memories, and officially making it the best thus far. :)


What are you currently up to?

Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...