My mom is an amazing cook. She has been cooking her entire life, and though not professionally trained, she can pretty much make anything, and you can be assured that it will be delicious. My husband loves when she comes to stay with us for a few nights here and there to help with the kids, because she will usually cook us dinner, and she always makes sure to make his favorites.
Since I was a little girl, she has been making a peach cobbler that is one of my favorite desserts. Full of delicious sweet peaches, and with a crunchy, buttery crust, it is best topped with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, and eaten while it's still warm. A very traditionally southern dessert, it is always a crowd pleaser, and there are hardly ever any leftovers because it's just so good!
I needed a dessert recipe several years ago, and asked my mom for her famous peach cobbler recipe. When she gave it to me, I couldn't believe how simple it was. 5 ingredients!! And it's so easy, it is practically foolproof. But, when made with good ingredients and peaches that are in season and ripe, it really is hard to beat. And I'd love to share it with you today! It is great for a picnic, a potluck dinner, or really just a sweet treat on any weeknight. We made it at the beach this year, and it did not disappoint!
Here's What You Need:
1 Stick of Butter (REAL butter. No substitutes.)
1 Cup Self-Rising Flour
1 Cup Sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 cups of peeled, sliced peaches (at least, more if you'd like)
In a pinch, you can use canned peaches, but the end product is so much better with fresh (preferably South Georgia) peaches. Another delicious alternative is using fresh blueberries or blackberries. I love a fresh blackberry cobbler!
Here's What You Do:
1. Preheat your oven to 350*.
2. Put your stick of butter in a baking dish (ceramic or cast iron are great, glass is fine too), and let it melt as the oven heats up.
3. As your butter is melting, combine the flour, sugar and milk in a large mixing bowl, stirring until well combined and smooth.
4. Once your butter has melted, carefully remove your baking dish from the oven. Carefully pour the flour/sugar/milk mixture directly into your baking dish with the melted butter. Since the dish is very hot, it will sizzle and rise a bit, so again, be careful. And very important, make sure that you don't stir! You want the butter to be separate from the batter mixture.
Batter poured into Butter
5. Once you have poured the batter in, drop in your peach slices, distributing them evenly through the dish.
6. Put dish into the oven and bake 45 minutes-an hour, until the top is golden brown and crispy.
And that's it!
It really is SO easy, and when served hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...there is hardly anything better.
So, thanks Mom, for this classic and delicious recipe! And I hope y'all will take advantage of the fresh peaches this summer and try out my mom's peach cobbler!
And don't forget to enter the giveaway for a $35 or $25 Goat & Lulu Shop Credit! You can enter everyday until Friday, when the winners will be selected! Check it out here! Good luck!