Tuesday, July 2, 2013

DIY $2 Infinity Scarf


The Infinity Scarf Trend is still going strong, and it is one of my favorites.  It's an easy way to incorporate color and pattern and interest to an otherwise simple outfit, and depending on the fabric, they can really be worn year round.

Another great thing about them is that they are really easy to make yourself!  And can be very inexpensive!!  I was lucky to run across some really cute patterned "scarves" from the Dollar Tree, but they were very sheer and just one long piece of fabric.  But I thought if they were doubled up and sewn together, that they would make the perfect infinity scarf!  So, I bought the two scarves for $2 total, went home and got to work!

If you can sew a straight line, you can make this.  It is a very basic and very simple project, and I'll show you how to make one for yourself, or to give as a gift (or both!)

Here's What You Need:

2 Scarves, roughly 12" by 60".  You can also use 2 pieces of fabric, 12x60, the same or contrasting colors or prints, just as long as they are the same size.  Sheer and/or lightweight materials work best.
Matching Thread
Sewing Machine

And Here's What You Do!


My two scarves!  These are actually not the ones I originally bought, but I went back to get two more so I could photograph the process for this tutorial, and this is all Dollar Tree had!  So this infinity scarf will be particularly patriotic for the fourth! :)


Put your two scarves one on top of the other, right sides of fabric together.  Start on one of the long sides, and sew down the side, leaving two inches unsewn at the top and the bottom of the scarves.  I used a 1/2" seam allowance throughout the entire project.


Repeat on the other long side.


So you should have one long tube of fabric, open on the ends.


Join one of the short sides, right sides together, and sew.


Repeat on the other short side.  You kind of have to push the scarf inside itself to get the other short end's right sides together to sew, but that's why we left the two inches on the top and bottom.


Flip the scarf right side out, using the openings on the side from where we left the top 2 inches and bottom 2 inches unsewn.


Use a 1/8" topstitch and sew the openings shut on both sides.


Tah-dah!  You're done!  And now you have a super cute infinity scarf!  See two of the other ones I have made herehere and here (and just so you know, since I sell the chevron infinity scarves in my etsy shop, the chevron fabric costs far more than $1 a yard, so they are not nearly as cheap to make! :)).  


I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and you'll try making your own infinity scarf!

Pin It

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...