Monday, June 17, 2013

The Smallest Gift

I have felt a tugging at my heart for quite sometime.  Like I needed to be doing something.  I have felt for many years that I wanted to give back, to do something good for someone or something, but (as silly as it sounds, since so many people and so many organizations need volunteers and assistance all the time), I just didn't know what to do.  I wanted to do something that meant something to me, something that I could stand behind and truly contribute to.  I wanted to make a difference.
Then a few months ago, I was reading a blog (like I often do), and started clicking on side bar buttons to find new shops, blogs, etc., and happened upon a website...

...like it was meant to be.

It was The Smallest Gift.

The Smallest Gift  is a non-profit organization that was started by two families that experienced the same terrible tragedy, the loss of an infant.  The Maneval-Thawley and Gill families welcomed beautiful baby girls into the world, but their precious Abigail and McKinley were taken far too soon.  They discovered that infant loss can be a taboo topic and is a very, very sad and lonely place.  They decided to create an organization that would provide comfort and support for parents and families that are experiencing the grief that follows infertility, miscarriage or infant loss.  

The Smallest Gift provides an embroidered blanket and a weighted heart to any family that requests it in memory of the child they have lost, for free.  The blanket and the heart provide comfort, and a feeling that they are not alone, and that they are cared for.  That their child was cared for.  The Smallest Gift provides resources for families dealing with infertility, miscarriage and infant loss, and provides a program to healthcare facilities for families that have experienced a loss.  As they say on their website, "our love for them will provide us the strength to do something good in their memory."

I was so inspired by the simple idea of providing love and support to families dealing with loss, since I had been there myself.  What an amazing idea, I thought, since yes, loss can be a very lonely place at times.  I think that the love I have for the baby we lost will provide me the strength to do something good as well.  I knew that this was the organization I was meant to help. This is how I could make a 
difference in someone's life.

That's why I have decided to use my resources and my Etsy shop, and help The Smallest Gift continue their generous, caring, and important support for families in need.  In need of love and comfort and prayers.  But I can't do it alone, I need your help.

I have created 2 original art prints that are currently for sale in my Etsy shop.  They are only $5 each, and I will donate 100% of the proceeds of both prints directly to The Smallest Gift.  
I think supporting families that have experienced the most awful of tragedies is so important, and could make a world of difference in their lives.  To let them know that they are loved, that they are not alone, and that their child existed and was loved.

If you feel so inclined, please take a look at the prints in my Etsy shop, and purchase one (or both!).  They are digital files and will be emailed to you right away (with the Goat & Lulu watermark removed), and you can be assured that every last penny from the sales of the prints will be donated straight to The Smallest Gift.

Find this print here.

Find this print here.


I truly hope that you will feel moved to help me help this worthy organization, and help comfort these grieving families.
For More information, please visit www.thesmallestgift.org

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...