Monday, June 24, 2013

Boozy Mixed Berry Milk Shake


So, this all started with my Summer Bucket List.  I looked at it on Saturday morning to see what we could mark off over the weekend.  Banana Splits, I thought, that would be easy, and the girls would love it.  So that night, I pulled out the ice cream, the bananas, and I decided to make an easy berry sauce from some blueberries, blackberries and raspberries that I had frozen after the girls birthday party.  I made some yummy banana splits for the girls (even Ben got a bite!), but we only had enough bananas for the girls, and of course, I needed a sweet treat too!

I scooped some ice cream into a bowl and poured the sauce over it, thinking that would be it.  But as Scott pulled the milk out of the fridge for the girls, I caught a glimpse of some coconut rum we had left from our beach trip, and the light bulb went off.  DUH!  Who wants a bowl of boring old ice cream when I can have a boozy berry MILKSHAKE!  And thus, this magical and delicious drink was born.

I could have drank the entire pitcher it was SO good!!  I don't exactly have a precise recipe to share with you, since I didn't really measure, I just tasted and poured and mixed as I went.  But I can certainly give you an outline for you to whip one up yourself!

Here's What You Need:

Vanilla Ice Cream (I used Breyer's, my very favorite)
Milk
Fresh or Frozen Berries (I used blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.  Strawberries would also be delicious, and any combination would be great!)
Coconut Rum (I used Bacardi.  Regular Rum, but not spiced, would be fine too if you don't like coconut)

And Here's What I Did:

I started by putting my berries in the blender with a little bit of water to create a berry puree.  I thought this worked well for the milkshake too, since it made it smooth without any chunks of berries.  

Next, I added a few scoops of ice cream and a splash of milk.  Just be careful with the milk, because you can always add more, but you can't take it away once you pour it in.  I went ahead and blended it up at this point, tasted it, and adjusted ingredients accordingly to get the taste I wanted (I actually ended up adding more of the berry sauce since I wanted a more pronounced berry flavor).

Then, the good stuff.  I added in the coconut rum, and ounce at a time, and blend and taste in between additions.  Just like the milk, you can always add more if it's not strong enough for you, but can't take it away once you've put in too much.  Make sure you blend it and stir it up too in between your tastes to make sure you're getting an accurate read.  

And that's it!  A fun and different dessert drink, perfect for a warm evening.  And it's also very customizable. You could use frozen yogurt or even Greek yogurt to make it more like a smoothie (but I like the milkshake idea!), or add more fruit.  Bananas would be good and would thicken it up some, also adding orange juice or pineapple juice would be really good too.  And of course, you don't have to use vanilla ice cream; strawberry ice cream would be perfect, or even chocolate!  The good think about this "recipe" is that you can just use whatever you like and whatever you have in the fridge and freezer.

So, grab some berries, ice cream, and rum, and whip yourself up a yummy adult milkshake.  Just don't set your glass down, you don't want your little one taking a big pull off your boozy milkshake!!

Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...