Friday, June 14, 2013

10 Things I Have Learned from My Dad


My Dad.  My hero, my model for what a respectable man is.  The man who provided for me growing up, and would comfort me when I cried.  He coached my softball teams, and worked his way to the fence to watch me cheer at my first football game at Nebraska, so proud, with a bright red Nebraska sweatshirt on. 

My Dad has worked all his life to provide his family a comfortable and secure home, and has always expected my brother and I to do the same.  He instilled a strong work ethic in the both of us, and I have always wanted to please him and make him proud.  

He has been a bastion of stability for me my entire life.  He has said that the only phone calls he always answers are those calls from his kids.  He is always available for advice, or for helping move (like I did once a year for several years), or to share a cocktail on the porch with.

I could go on and on and on about all the things that make my Dad so special to me, and if you know my Dad, you know all these wonderful things that I'm talking about, too.  So today, in honor of Father's Day this weekend, and in honor of my amazing Dad, I'd like to share 10 things that I have learned from him.


1. If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.


2. How to enjoy fine Tennessee sippin' whisky.


3. That no matter what you are going through, our family will always be there to help, support, and love.


4. Nothing runs like a Deere.


5. How to throw a spiral, play third base, balance a checkbook, put up beadboard, set up a bar, give a presentation, parallel park, eat an oyster, and close a prayer (Amen.  Bye. :)).

6. That even being a girl, I could do absolutely anything that I wanted to do, if I worked hard enough.


7. You can solve most of the world's problems all while sitting around a firepit, listening to classic rock and country music, with a stiff drink in the North Georgia Mountains.


8. A truly successful man is well respected and well liked by both his coworkers and his family.


9. The Budweiser creed.


10. That no matter how old you are, even after you get married and have children of your own, you can still be Daddy's Little Girl.

I love you, Dad, so much.  Thank you for being a pillar of strength in my life, and for all the lessons you've taught and memories you've made.

I hope you have a wonderful and deserving Father's Day.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Awww, this is so sweet and made me choke up. Your dad is a fabulous man who I just adore as well. I had no idea that Grayson looked JUST LIKE you when you were little bitty, that is crazy. And, that wedding picture is the sweetest thing I have ever seen. Happy Father's Day Mr. Fred, my daddy's brother from another mother. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...