Friday, May 10, 2013

10 Things I Have Learned From My Mother

In honor of Mother's Day this Sunday, I thought I would honor two amazing mothers in my life on the blog, my husband's mom, and my own mom.
 
Yesterday I posted 10 things that I have learned from my Mother in Law,
and today is my mom's turn.
 
 
 
When I started brainstorming what my mom has taught me through the years, I filled line after line in my notebook, but had no idea how to narrow everything down to ten things. 
 
There is just no way that a simple blog post could communicate all the things she has taught me, and all the things she means to me.
 
For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be just like her.  I have especially always wanted to be the kind of mother she is. 
 
Always, always here when we need her.  Without asking, she just knows.  Honest, but always supportive.  Protective, but not hovering.  Completely dependable, reliable.  Fun and encouraging.  Loving and graceful.  Beautiful, inside and out.
 
The older I get, the more I catch myself saying things that she would say, doing things she'd do, even wearing things that she would wear!
 
And I wouldn't have it any other way. 
 
I can only hope that I grow to be half the mother that she is, and that my children love me a fraction of as much as I love her.
 
 
Other than my husband, my mom is my very best friend.  She has taught me lessons since I was a little girl, and I continue to learn from her everyday.
 
10 Things I Have Learned From My Mom
 
1. It is far better to be overdressed than underdressed.
 
2. You are stronger than you think.  You can do anything.
 
3. That marriage is hard.  There are good times and bad times, ups and downs.  But it is worth it.
 
4. There is nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it.  It truly takes a village.
 
5. How to cook a Thanksgiving dinner, how to make an all-purpose household cleaner, how to plan a fabulous party.
 
6. What unconditional love looks and feels like.
 
7. That sometimes the simplest and tried and true recipes are the best.
 
8. Pretty is as pretty does.
 
9. That cooking is not just the act of preparing food.  It is creating, it is providing, it is nourishing, all for the body and the soul.  It is a way to pass down family history and a way to show your love.
 
10. A Mother's love is unwavering, enduring, palpable, unyielding, selfless, and strong.  It is almost impossible to explain the depths of a mother's love.
 
I could go on and on and on about all the things my mom has taught me and how much she means to me.  My mother is the most influential person in my life.  She has taught me what a true woman is and does, and has taught me that I am important, I am smart, I am beautiful, and I am worthy of love.  I try and instill these ideas into my children everyday, and pray that I can be as much of an influence in their lives as my mom is in mine.
 
Happy Mother's Day, Mom, I love you so much.
 
 
Happy Mother's Day to all my mama friends this weekend, mommies to earth babies and heavenly babies too.  Be it your very first Mother's Day, or your 50th, I hope you are honored and appreciated, respected and admired this weekend.  I am so blessed to know so many wonderful mothers, and delighted to have so many friends and family members enjoying the blessings of motherhood.  I hope you enjoy a day full of whatever makes you happy, and lots and lots of love.
 
Have a wonderful weekend!
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...