Thursday, April 4, 2013

Prayer Requests

After church a few weeks ago...loving Gracie's new "cheeeeeeese" face :)
 
I have said my prayers all my life.  I actually had a memorized "prayer speech" that I used to say every single night before I went to sleep (and I actually thought it was bad luck if I said itincorrectly or out of order, and would make myself start over...yeah, I was a little odd).  I quit saying my nightly prayers (for no good reason, really) sometime in high school, I think, and until the last 5 or so years, said them intermittantly throughout my young adulthood.
 
But after I was married, and especially after I started having children, I prayed all the time.  For Scott, for Brantley's ear infections would go away (I think I promised I would start going to church again a few times when Brantley would run high fevers), for my unborn babies to be healthy and growing, to be able to be a stay at home mom, etc. etc.  I prayed constantly for my family and myself.  Pretty common, I would assume.  And recently, since we've been going to church more regularly and working on finding our church home, and I have been working on praying, and praying more often.
 
But recently, I have had something happen to me that has really made me think.  On two seperate occasions, I have had people contact me, people that I don't typically have much contact with, and offer to say a prayer for me.  Two people that have asked if there was anything on my heart that they could talk to God about and ask for God's help.
 
Wow.
 
I was kind of surprised at first, because that had never happened to me before.  And to be honest, I was a little embarrassed!  I thought, "wow, I must come across like I need a lot of help if people are contacting me to find out what they needed to pray about for me!"  But that feeling quickly changed to one of complete appreciation and humility.  I have prayed my whole life for myself and for my close family.  I try not to pray for trivial things; I pray for health, understanding, patience (especially!), happiness, a closer relationship to God, etc.  But how many times have I prayed for someone just because they may need a little extra?  And of course people ask for extra prayers all the time and I say, "I'll certainly say a prayer for you," or someone posts on facebook that someone close passed away, and I say, "I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers."  If I say I'm going to do it, I always try and remember, but how many times do you innocently forget?  Or how many times do you say that just because it's nice to say?  I have to be honest and say that I simply forget at times.  I certainly pray for others, but I don't actively reach out to people and offer to pray for them.  And then to have two people go out of their way to tell me that they are thinking of me (which would be enough, in my book!), and praying for me.  They certainly have things personal to themselves and their families to pray for, yet they selflessly reached out and took time to offer to pray on my behalf.
 
It made really want to engage in prayer more often and "learn" to pray better.  Do you ever feel kind of silly when you're praying?  Like you don't know exactly what to say?  I think because I don't have a completely solid church foundation, and I'm figuring out my relationship with God that I have a learning curve when it comes to seemingly basic things like praying.  But I read somewhere (and I'm definitely paraphrasing here) that even when you don't know what to say to God, when you're just being present with Him, He can hear what's on your heart.  That is very reassuring to me.  Sometimes, when I'm feeling particularly out of control, I'll turn to God and not say a word, and I still feel a connection.  I would also like to pray with my husband.  Here again, I think I would feel a little embarrassed?  Just because I'm not sure I'm confident enough in my faith that I would know what to say?  I'm sure Scott would be understanding, and I think it would be a good thing for our marriage.  It's something I want to work towards.  I think mastering it my own would be a good first step.
 
So, in an effort to work on praying and to pray in a broader scope, can I say a prayer for you?  If there is anyone reading that would like an extra prayer said on their behalf, something that you have been worrying about, something on your mind, or anything at all, I would be happy to do it (and I really will try not to forget :)).  It is truly something that I want to do, and everyone could use a little more help, right?  Feel free to leave a comment, anonymous or not, or email me at
goatandlulu{at}gmail{dot}com.  Feel free to be as vague or thorough as you want.  I'd like honor the two people that came forward on my behalf, the two that actively and humbly reached out to me, and pay it forward.
 
No matter, I am thankful for those of you that read this little piece of the blogosphere and get a glimpse into my life.  I will say a prayer for you all! :)
 
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. If this were FB, I would have to click the "LIKE" button! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your honesty and willingness to express yourself so openly to others is so refreshing. You are such a good role model. I'll thank God for you in my prayers. :) Thank you for taking the time and for bringing up the tough subjects. God love you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What wonderful compliments, thank you so much! I'll say a prayer for you too!! :) :)

      Delete
  3. Prayers for understanding that everything happens in GOD's time, not my own, would be greatly appreciated. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider it done, sister. Lots of love!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...