Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring Style Week: How to Wear Colored Denim

 
Welcome back to Spring Style Week!  If you missed yesterday's post, check it out here, otherwise, onward!
 
Today, we take on a huge spring trend, Colored Denim!
 
Find these outfits here, here, here and here
 
 
In the age of online shopping and Pinterest, it is pretty simple to get ideas for outfits and inspiration on how to wer your favorite new piece.  But some trends can be a little intimidating, making you think, "hmmm, I'm not sure I can pull that off."  Well, you can!  But I think colored denim is definitely one of those trends.  It is certainly a bold choice, is all over the place from high end boutiques to WalMart (literally!), and is huge for spring.  But colored denim can be overwhelming if you're used to a relatively neutral or subdued outfit.  But never fear!  I am giving you three sure-fire options for ways to wear your turquoise skinnies (or any other color!) to make you feel completely confident in your outfit choice.  And look completely chic! 
 
1. STRIPES
 

credit


 

 
 
 Stripes are so very classic (besides polka dots, they are my very favorite thing to wear) and perfect to ground bright colored denim.  The graphic nature of a striped top draws attention, and keeps the outfit in balance.  You can wear a black and white or navy and white striped knit top with just about any color of denim.  Classics: black and white top, red denim.  Navy and white top, turquoise denim.  Unexpected: Red and White Striped top, coral denim. 
 
2. NEUTRALS
 
credit


 credit

credit

 credit
The obvious choice, the neutral top.  Obvious, but still very stylish!  I especially like gray and ivory (as you can see above) as we work into spring.  They are not quite as heavy as black and or brown, though those would work fine too.  You can add plenty of interest with a great cowl scarf, a blazer with the sleeves rolled, a statement necklace, a great bag, etc.  I love the turquoise and gray cool combination, but also love the gray and coral.  Yellow skinnies with a gray sweater (and scarf, until it warms up) would be cute too.  Ivory would be pretty with just about any color.  I just bought a mocha-like light brown top that I love to pair with my mint skinnies.  A black top would be very romantic with light pink denim, I would just wear a scoop neck or a top in a light weight material if you wear black, so it doesn't seem as heavy and wintery.  Colorblocking with a simple neutral looks sophisticated and clean.
 
3. CHAMBRAY BUTTON UP
 
credit

credit
 
credit
The chambray shirt is certainly another classic, and pretty much a neutral also.  It adds a casual, All-American look to your bright bottoms.  I just wore my favorite combination this past weekend, my chambray button up with coral skinnies, my turquoise bauble necklace and colorful chevron flats, and I felt comfortable, put together and ready for spring!  Chambray and red is so classic, chambray with coral is a little more modern.  Your chambray shirt will look great with just about any colored denim, but I do like how it looks best with a more contrasting color.
 
So, I hope this gives you start and some good ideas on how to wear the spring's colored denim trend!  And I don't want to hear anyone saying that they can't pull it off, because YOU CAN!  You just have to wear it in a way you're comfortable with, and with confidence!  Then you will rock it!!!
 
Please come back tomorrow for Day 3 of Spring Style Week!! :)
 
 
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...