Friday, March 8, 2013

Fish Taco Friday!

After a particularly yummy dinner last night, I decided to part from my normal "Five on Friday" post, and post about some Fish Tacos!
 
 
We have been eating a lot of tacos lately.  Crockpot chicken tacos, Old El Paso Boxed Mix regular tacos, chicken fajita tacos.  They're easy, they're gooood, and they're just a family favorite.  But when I was cruising the grocery aisles the other day and saw a sale on tilapia, and with spring and warmer weather on my mind, I thought, perfect.  FISH TACOS.
 
I've had them a million times, and though you may not believe me, I actually prefer grilled fish tacos over fried fish tacos.  I know!  I can hardly believe I'm typing it either.  And the best ones I have had are always topped with a yummy, citrusy coleslaw.  And then I threw some avocado on the top, because as far as I'm concerned, everything is better with a few slices of avocados on top.
 
They may sound intimidating, but they are actually super duper easy and really healthy!  I pretty much made up my recipes as I went, so I don't really have an exact recipe, per se, but more like a set of guidelines for you to make your own delicious fish taco dinner.
 
GRILLED FISH TACOS WITH MANGO JALAPENO SLAW AND AVOCADOS
 
 
 
What you'll need:
 
Tilapia ( I bought about 1.5-2 pounds for my (solid food eating) family of four.  Shrimp would also be a great substitute!)
salt, pepper, blackening seasoning or Cajun seasoning, or whatever you have on hand
flour tortillas (I used some that were 98% fat free and they were great!)
angel hair coleslaw mix
1 mango
1 jalapeno
1/4 of a red onion
1 bunch of cilantro
1/4 cup mayonnaise (you could try using Greek yogurt as a sub, that might be really good!)
1 lime
2 tablespoons honey
1 avocado
 
How You Make Them:
 
I make the slaw first, so it can sit and the flavors can develop while the fish is grilling.  So, put the coleslaw mix into a large bowl.  Peel and thinly slice a ripe mango, add to the coleslaw mix.  Carefully remove the ribs and seeds from the jalapeno and dice.  Add to slaw (for more heat, leave the ribs and seeds in!).  Dice the red onion quarter and add to slaw, mince the cilantro and add to slaw as well.  Add mayonnaise and mix well.  Slice lime and juice into slaw.  Add honey (to get honey to come out of your honey bear container easier, microwave for 10 seconds!) and mix well.  I added about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to my slaw, just because my husband loves a vinegar-y slaw.  You may or may not want to go that route.  Set aside to let the flavors blend!
 
Heat up a grill pan on the stove, over medium high.  Slice your tilapia into pieces about an inch wide and 4 inches long (this is very approximate and does not have to be exact.  Just slice it to fit nicely into your tortillas).  Spray your skillet with non-stick spray, because the fish like to stick.  Season your fish with salt, pepper and blacking seasoning (or whatever you've got on hand), as heavy or lightly as you like.  Place in grill pan.  The fish cooks pretty quickly.  Once you see it begin to look opaque on the outside edges, flip it over.  It's just a few minutes, so keep a close eye on it.  Once you flip it, it only takes 1-2 minutes or so for it be done.  You will know it's done when you take it off the grill pan and it's opaque all the way through and flakes with your fork.
 
Once your fish is done, begin assembling your taco (see, I told you it was easy!)!  Place fish on the bottom of your tortilla, add a dollop of slaw, and slice up your avocado and add a few slices to the top.  You can add a squeeze of lime juice or a bit of your favorite salsa to the top (or not!) and you are ready to go!
 
 
I served our fish tacos with Spanish rice and refried beans, but I didn't even eat any of the sides, just the tacos!  I love how the mango makes the slaw a little sweet, and the jalapeno adds some heat.  The avocado adds creaminess, and the acid from the lime juice cuts right through that richness.  And for the kids, I didn't bother wrapping everything up in the tortilla and just served "deconstructed fish tacos," aka fish, slaw, avocado, rice, beans, some chopped mango and torn up tortillas!  And the girls gobbled it up!
 
I can't wait to make more of these when the weather gets warm, especially at the beach with freshly caught seafood.  I hope you enjoy this Fish Taco recipe and have a GREAT weekend!!
 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this!!! I CAN'T WAIT to try it!! Taco Tuesday this week will be Fish Taco Tuesday =) Will let you know how it goes!!! They look so yummie it's gonna be hard to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope y'all enjoy it! And yes, please tell me what you think! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...