Wednesday, March 6, 2013

20 Little Known Facts About Me

 
I have been trying to put this post together for so long, but have had a hard time coming up with 20 things that y'all may find interesting!  So interesting or not, here we go:
  1. I had a miscarriage before I was pregnant with Brantley.  Darkest time of my life.  I was ready to have a baby, so excited to have a baby.  And then the rug was pulled out from underneath me, and I just did not know what to do.  I don't talk about it very often, unless I am talking to someone that has been through the same thing.  Then I am an open book.  But if anything makes you feel like you have no control over what happens in your life, it's the process of trying to get pregnant.  Thankfully, about four months after the miscarriage we were pregnant again, and Miss Brantley debuted 9 months later.  And I didn't take a full, worry-free breath until I saw her beautiful face.
2.  I was a cheerleader in college, for The University of Nebraska!  Why Nebraska, you say?  Well, I moved to Iowa my sophomore year in high school, when my family was transferred for my Dad's job with John Deere.  I did some research on cheerleading programs, and went to an open gym at Nebraska.  I ended up making the squad as a freshman and absolutely LOVED it.  I cheered football, basketball and volleyball, and it was a time in my life I'll never forget.
    3.  I am an obsessive collector.  I have several collections of items that mean a lot to me going at any one time.  I'm not sure what it is about collecting that I like, but I truly value each item!  I love to look back through the crosses on my wall, and remember where I got them or who gave them to me.  And two of my antique kitchen tools were my grandmothers, that my mom says she remembers her using when she was a little girl.  I guess memories tie all of my collections together.  Some of my current collections are crosses, L's to hang on the wall, antique kitchen tools, Aiken China, cookbooks, silhouettes,quilts,  maps, antique windows, etc., etc...
     
    4.  My musical taste varies from one end of the spectrum to the other, but my most very favorite band since I was about 13 is The Indigo Girls.
     
    5.    I am a huge history buff.  My dad is, and luckily my husband is too.  When I was little, we visited Williamsburg, Virginia, Washington, DC, and Appomattox Virginia, and they are some of my most vivid and memorable family vacations.  On mine and Scott's first date, we actually discussed who some of the generals were in the Civil War (Wow, we are total nerds.  Nerds who are perfect for each other, clearly).  I want to instill in our children how important the history of our country is.
     
    6.  I was the first girl born on the Midkiff side of the family in 34 years!  And I shared my middle name (Parrish) with my paternal grandmother.  Now Brantley has it. :)
     
    7.  My very first car was a hunter green Jeep Cherokee that my parents got me when I turned 15.  But, with it being 2-wheel drive and us moving to the Midwest where snowy winter roads require 4-wheel drive, we sold it and I got a red Pontiac Sunfire.  Ruby was her name.
     
    8.  When I was little, I wanted to be a journalist like Paula Zahn (ha!).  I even got a "journalist kit" with a notepad, microphone and "press pass" for Christmas one year.  Then when my mom told me that as a journalist I'd have to work on Christmas, I quickly decided that I didn't want to be a journalist anymore.  Ha!
     
    9.  My worst fear is losing my family and losing those people that I love, that are the closest to me.  That and having something happen to me, and my children having to grow up without their mother.  If I start thinking about it, I can really get myself upset.
     
    10.  I have had a guitar since I was a sophomore in high school, but have yet to learn how to play it.  I will, one day.
     
    11.  I feel completely naked if I don't have earrings on.  You will very rarely see me without them.
     
    12.  My very best and favorite birthday memory was my sixteenth birthday.  My parents surprised me with a trip to New York City, just me and my dad.  We shopped (I came home with three pairs of shoes and glitter eyeliner), we ate authentic NYC hotdogs from street vendors, we stayed in Times Square, and best of all, we saw Les Miserables on Broadway, 5th row, center.  I still have the program from the show.
     
    13. In 4th grade I was Clara in our school's production of "The Nutcracker" at Christmas.  Then in 5th grade, I played Wendy in "Peter Pan."
     
    14. There are very few foods that I don't like.  As a matter of fact, only 2 that I can think of.  One is green peas.  I have tried and re-tried then over and over, but I just don't like them.  And the other is cantaloupe.  One time when we were newly married, Scott and I had breakfast with his grandparents.  Scott's grandmother put a big bowl of fresh cantaloupe on the table, and knowing how much I disliked it, Scott told them how much I loved cantaloupe.  Jerk.  So, I choked down a plateful of cantaloupe that morning because I didn't want to insult them or admit that I actually didn't like it!
     
    15.  My favorite food is fried chicken.  I could eat it hot or cold, all day, everyday.
16. When Scott is out of town and I'm home with the kids by myself, I stay up as late as I can so that when I finally go to bed, I fall right to sleep so I don't get scared.  I also lay in bed and create escape routes out of the house for the kids and I, in case someone were to break in.
 
17.  The first time I ever had a beer was after homecoming, my junior year of high school.  I had an orange flavored "Two Dog" beer (gross) and threw up right afterwards.  Thankfully, my tolerance has improved since then.

18.  I hate to give gift cards as gifts, but love to receive them!

19.  My favorite drink is a Gin and Tonic.

20.  I love hats on other people but think I look stupid in them.  I think I have a small head and they just never seem to look right on me.  But I am always still on the lookout for one that will work.  Also, I think I look like a stripper when I wear hoop earrings.  I must have 10 pairs of them, because I see them on other people, and think, "I can pull that off."  So I buy another pair, only to never wear them because I think I look like a hooker!

So there are a few things about me you may not have known.  What about you??
 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. This was so much fun to read. Some of them made me laugh and most of them brought back memories that I have shared with your or similarities that we share (peas and cantaloupe are disgusting!). I remember when you used to "gun it" in your sunfire and sang Indigo Girls ALL of the time (if you weren't repeating cheers). To this day if I hear one of their songs I smile and think of you. Hard to believe we've been best friends for almost 25 years. Love you and miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, that was so sweet it made me all teary! I can't believe we've been friends that long either. I think the kids and I need to take a road trip to Anderson! :) Miss you and love you too!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...