Monday, February 11, 2013

New Favorite Lunch: Mediterranean Hummus Flatbread

 
Lunchtime is a busy time for us at the Luton house.  Brantley and Grayson eat lunch somewhere between 11:00 and noon.  Bennett is usually taking or about to take a nap, and trying to get the girls to be quiet and sit at the table to eat can be, to put it nicely, challenging.  So trying to get a yummy, healthy, and satisfying lunch for myself is next to impossible.  I'm usually trying to eat some deli ham out of the package with a pickle, or maybe if I'm lucky, I can smear together a peanut butter sandwich.  Nothing terribly exciting.
 
But, when I was at the grocery store the other day, I saw a pack of 5 whole wheat flat breads in the deli section, and got a great idea.  Taking some inspiration from a pin I saw the other day, and also a tasty Mediterranean dip that I make, I have made my new favorite lunch! 
 
The Mediterranean Hummus Flatbread!
 
 
 
It couldn't be easier, and it's healthy, low fat, high in protein, very filling, and really good!  I do the prep for it on Sunday, which is just chopping up a cucumber, some olives, and a pint of cherry tomatoes, which takes about 5 minutes.  Then, thanks to the convenient pack of 5 flatbreads, I have lunch for every day of the week! 
 
Here's the super easy recipe:
 
Package of 5 Whole Wheat Flatbreads (Near the pita breads and fresh bakery breads)
Tub of Hummus (Sabra Roasted Garlic is my favorite, but use your favorite brand and flavor)
Cucumber
Pint of Cherry Tomatoes
Handful of Kalamata Olives
Tub of Feta Cheese
 
 
- Peel and dice cucumber into small pieces.  Quarter olives and cherry tomatoes.  If you're making this for the whole week, you can either Ziploc them into separate bags or you can combine the vegetables and the olives in one bag and store in the fridge.
 
-Slather your flatbread with a nice coat of hummus.  Add a layer of cucumber, tomato, and olive on top of the hummus.  Sprinkle with feta. 
 
 
 
And voila!  Lunch is served!  I think it's easiest to cut it up and eat it like a pizza.  After you have all the veggies cut up on Sunday, all you have to do each day at lunchtime is smear the hummus on the flatbread, sprinkle the veggies and cheese on, and gobble it up.  That's about as easy as eating some ham out of the package!  And much tastier!
 
 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Just about to walk in Earth Fare and saw this post. Added those items to my grocery list! Thanks for the yummy lunch idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great!! I can't wait for lunch again today to eat it again. Hope you like it! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...