Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Quote of the Day

"No one longs for what he or she already has, and yet the accumulated insight of those wise about the spiritual life suggests that the reason so many of us cannot see the red X that marks the spot is because we are standing on it. The treasure we seek requires no lengthy expedition, no expensive equipment, no superior aptitude or special company. All we lack is the willingness to imagine that we already have everything we need. The only thing missing is our consent to be where we are.” ~Barbara Brown Taylor
 
This quote really struck me when I came across it the other day.  Isn't it so true?  Isn't it so ironic that we (maybe just I) are always wanting more and looking for what makes us happy, when all we have to do is take a step back and realize that we alreaday have ALL WE NEED to truly make us happy.  If my craft room is not perfectly decorated and my girls have mismatching comforters on their beds (for now), WHO CARES.  I may not have the most up to date wardrobe anymore, or Tory Burch's newest handbag.  But what I do have are the things I have always wanted.  I have my wonderful husband.  My beautiful, healthy children.  The opportunity to stay home and raise them.  A fulfilling creative outlet.  An amazing and supportive family.  I don't need to keep searching and longing for more.  I am standing on my red X.
 
It is very easy, in the world we live in, to get caught up in being the best, having the best and in always wanting more.  I am especially guilty of this.  But, in trying to live up to my 2013 mantra of "love the moment," I don't want to constantly be wanting more and comparing myself to others.  I want to have that "willingness to imagine that we already have everything we need," and "consent to be where we are." 
 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post! So true and so necessary to remind ourselves. We are richer in love than we know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth?! I need to read and re-read this everyday. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...