Friday, December 21, 2012

Special Five on Friday: Snowflakes for Newtown




I have still been so upset by the news of the tragedy in Newtown last Friday (read my reaction here).  I think one of the things that I have struggled with is how helpless I have felt.  In the aftermath of natural disasters, you can donate blood, or send money to the red cross.  But how do you show your support to a community that has lost 20 children in an elementary school shooting?  Not quite as easy.
 
Until I saw this.
 
Such a fantastic idea.  The PTA at Sandy Hook Elementary School is getting ready for the children to come back to school in a new building once classes resume.  They want to provide a "winter wonderland" for the kids when they return, and need our help.  They want to decorate the school with as many wonderful and unique handmade snowflakes as possible, made by those who love and support them. 
 
I thought that this was such an amazing idea and wonderful way to show our support for a community still reeling, that needs as much love as they can get.  So for my Five on Friday post today, here are 5 reasons you should make and send in snowflakes for Sandy Hook Elementary School!
 
1. It's a fun winter craft for you and your kids!  Brantley is just learning how to use scissors, but she loved making cuts and seeing how the snowflakes came out once we unfolded them.
 
2. It's free (or just about).  Do you have scissors?  Do you have paper?  That's all you need.  You could use cupcake liners, or in our case, we used coffee filters.  No trips to the store, easy!
 
3. If your kids are old enough, it's a good time to talk about the events that occured at Sandy Hook.  I am honestly glad that my kids are too little to know about it or understand what happened yet, because this would be really hard for me to talk about.
 
4.  It's quick and easy!  It took about 10 minutes for Branrley and I to do together yesterday.  Just a little paper scrap (coffee filter scrap) cleanup, and done!
 
5. And of course, it will make you at least feel like you are contributing in your own way to the healing of the community of Newtown.  It's not much, but I bet it will make a huge difference to the children when they return to school to their "winter wonderland" and your snowflakes are there helping to create a little bit more magic.
 
So, are you with me?!  Do you want to get involved?  It's so easy and fun. 
 
Just make and send in your snowflakes by January 12, 2013 to:
 
Connecticut PTSA
60 Connolly Parkway
Building 12, Suite 103
Hamden, CT 06514
 
Please feel free to share so we can help create a Winter Wonderland for Sandy Hook Elementary School! 
 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    I am trying to confirm the date these are watned by the school. I'm assuming the kids were going back on the 2nd of Jan......is there a type-o with the date, and do they want them by the 2nd..or are the kids returning on the 14th?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kurt-
    I'm just passing along the information that I had received from another blog, somewhatsimple.com, where the date they had to have the snowflakes in by was January 12th. I'm not sure when the kids return back to school, but i'm assuming it's after that date. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...