Monday, October 22, 2012

Easy Dinner: Tortellini Casserole

 
 
I saw this recipe for Baked Penne Pasta on Pinterest quite some time ago, and thought it looked like an easy dinner idea to add to my collection.  So I filed it into my "Yummy Dinners" board for a night down the road. 
 
So fast forward to last night.  I have been SOOOOOO lucky to have had my mom, my mother in law, neighbors, friends and others bringing us and making us dinners for quite some time now.  Let me just tell you, cooking good dinners with a three year old and a one year old is hard enough, but throw in being very pregnant and then a newborn, and it's practically impossible!  But, we're getting into a pretty good routine now, and I started getting the itch to cook again, so I decided to pull out that old Baked Penne recipe, since we had a few ingredients on hand already, and whipped up a pretty yummy dinner that was super easy, made a LOT, and didn't take much time and effort at all!  I adjusted the recipe considerably for our tastes, and actually made it with tortellini instead of plain penne, since that's what we had on hand.  Here's the new recipe!
 
Baked Tortellini Casserole
 
-20 oz package of Butoni Tortellini (could use ravioli, or any dry pasta, whatever you have on hand!)
-1 pound Italian Sweet Sausage (I used Turkey Sausage, and I couldn't tell the difference, and it's much healthier!)
-1 green pepper, diced
-1/2 onion, diced
-1 jar spaghetti sauce of your choice
-1 container of Philadelphia Cooking Cream-Italian Cheese and Herb Flavor (I used the 1/3 the fat option, again, a little healthier!)
-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook tortellini according to package directions, drain and set aside.
 
2. Cut the casings of the italian sausage, and add the sausage to a large skillet.  Add green pepper and onion, saute until vegetables are soft and sausage is cooked through (about 10 minutes).
 
 
3. Add spaghetti sauce, 1/3 of the cooking cream and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella to the sausage mixture.  Combine.
 
 
4. Add tortellini to sausage and sauce mixture, mix to combine.  Pour into a 9x13 baking dish. 
 

5. In a small bowl, combine the remaining cooking cream with the mozzarella. Smear onto the top of the casserole, and spread evenly.


6. Pop the casserole in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.  And tah-dah!!  A huge casserole for dinner with plenty of extra for leftovers.  The hub liked it, the girls ate it all, and I cleaned my plate too!  I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we did!

 

And my Blog Sale is still up, if you are interested in any maternity pants!  There are still seven pairs available at AWESOME prices, so check it out!
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...