Thursday, September 20, 2012

Home Decor Tutorial: Framed Appliqued Initial


It is no secret that I love monograms, and have an "L" collection in our home. You can find all sorts of great alphabet decor at just about every big box store (and I have!), but there is something special about making it yourself. It's so easy to create an appliqued framed initial, and in this tutorial, you can do it with your sewing machine, or without! So to all my sewing and non-sew friends, this one is for all of you!

Here's what you'll need:

Frame (I used a $1 8x10 frame from the Dollar Tree!)
Acrylic Craft Paint or Spray Paint (if you choose to paint your frame)
Fabric for the initial
Burlap, or a contrasting fabric for the background

IF YOU'RE SEWING-
Heat n' Bond Adhesive
Sewing Machine
Thread
Iron

IF YOU'RE NOT SEWING-
Either Heat n' Bond Adhesive and Iron
or
Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks

And Here's how you do it!

1. If you are painting your frame, go ahead and do it first. Spray paint it or use a couple of coats of acrylic paint, and let it dry while you continue with the rest of the project.

2. Cut out your background fabric (burlap, in my case) to fit the frame you are using. My frame was an 8x10, so I cut my burlap 9x11, just to allow for some room for error.

3. Find a template for the letter that you'd like to use. In this case, I traced another L that I have hanging on my wall, but in other projects, I often google different letters and fonts and trace them right off my computer screen. Or you can just freehand one yourself! Make sure it fits proportionatly in your frame. Cut your template out of cardstock.

4. If you are using the heat n' bond adhesive paper, trace your initial onto the smooth side of the paper. If not, skip to step 6. Remember to trace the letter on backwards so that it will face the correct way when you iron it down. Cut out around your letter, but not right on the lines.

5. Iron your initial onto the wrong side of your initial fabric. Check the directions on your adhesive for how long you should leave your iron down (with mine, it's 2 seconds). Cut out your initial. Iron your initial directly onto the right side of the background fabric (again, check the directions on the package for how long, mine was 8 seconds). Skip to step 7.

6. If you are using a glue gun, glue your initial right onto the background fabric, and tah-dah, you're done! Put the frame around your initial and your project is complete!

7. If you are sewing, once your fabric initial has adhered to the background fabric, go ahead and sew a topstitch around the letter to secure it and finish it. You can use a zig zag stitch, blanket stitch, or, what I typically do, just a straight stitch around the perimeter of the letter. Put your frame around your finished initial and you are done!



This simple project makes a great addition to a gallery wall, or makes a lovely wedding or housewarming gift. With the right fabric selection, it would be super cute in a nursery or kids room too! This particular one that I made was actually a gift for my brother in law and sister in law that moved from Atlanta to their new home in South Carolina last weekend! I'm sure it will claim a prime spot on the wall right as you walk in the front door, right? :) We'll miss y'all!


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Love it. And it has a prime spot on our mantel! Can't wait for you to see in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you like it! And of course, I can't wait to see it. :) Ready for a visit from our party of five? :)

      Delete
  2. No way you are blogging the morning after having a baby! :) But, I love this project - it is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Lauren, I write most of my blog posts at least a week in advance, and that's what I did with this one! :) But Ben will make an appearance on the blog soon! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...