Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Nursery DIY Week: Simple Bunting Quilt


Pin It

I am in love with quilts. There is something so special about cuddling up in a soft and cozy blanket that someone has pieced together with special fabrics, and made by hand. I have a quilt that my mom gave me that was made by my great grandmother. And I had a good friend of mine make Brantley and Grayson quilts of their very own for Christmas last year. They are all beautiful, and we use them for picnics, cuddling on the floor on our pillow pallets for movie night, at the park, you name the place, and we pack a quilt to go with us. So I KNEW that a special, handmade quilt was going to be part of Bennett's nursery. Then I saw this on pinterest:


From A Pretty Cool Life

Quilt- Weakness.
Bunting- Total Weakness. HAD to make this.

BUT, I have not made a quilt before. On my bucket list for Baby Bennett, yes, but I was thinking maybe Christmas, for sure by his first birthday. But as I read through the tutorial, I thought, maybe I could swing this. It's a small quilt, like just fits inside a crib, or just perfect as a stroller or carseat blanket, so I knew it wouldn't be too much fabric for my first shot at quilting. And, not too much fabric lost if I really screwed it up and had to pitch it! So I started cutting, pinning, sewing. And here's how it turned out:





I truly could not have been happier with the way it turned out. I used scrap fabric left over from the rest of his bedding, an old white sheet, and some extra navy gingham and red bias tape that I already had on hand. It literally took me only 2 hours from start to finish. I'm not going to write out the tutorial for this one, though, because the original is so perfect. So, to try this out for yourself, follow this tutorial at A Pretty Cool Life. I would pretty much be rewriting this word for word, and it's easier to just send you to the source!

I still want to make a full size, real pieced quilt for Little Bennett, but until then, I hope he will enjoy wrapping up in his sweet Bunting Quilt. And know that his mama made it with SO much love, just for him. :)

Check back tomorrow for a 2-in-1 tutorial: DIY Crib Sheet and Changing Pad Cover!!


Pin It

10 comments:

  1. This is a-dor-a-ble!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Now this, I'm thinking, is going to be going into the Etsy shop. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, great job! Thank you for linking up to our Pretty Things Party. Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. Small world. I was going through my normal blogs and there is a link to someone in Loganville....I thought surely no, and then there really can't be another Loganville....I am from Loganville as well. I will be following your blog. Best wishes on the pending addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, what a small world, Marie! I'm so glad that you found my little blog and I hope you do follow me! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi! The interwebs brought me to your blog in my search for a quilting project! I LOVE these quilts! I am wanting to make one for my first ever quilt and I was wondering, do you think that minky fabric would work for the back of this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello and welcome! :) I think minky would be so cute on the back of this quilt! Great idea! Just be careful, because it can stretch a little and throw your proportions off. But if you cut it carefully and pin it plenty, you should be good! And good luck!! This was my first quilt too, and it was a good start. I have made a bunch of them since, and keep improving. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...