Thursday, August 9, 2012

Appliqued Onesie Tutorial

I have been in baby prep OVERDRIVE lately, and since the girls have SO many personalized shirts and outfits, I felt like Baby Bennett needed some help catching up. So, amongst 10,000 other things, I have been making him some appliqued onesies. :)


I have made several differnt styles, but in this tutorial, I'm showing you this sweet little sailboat applique (I'll give you a peek of the other ones in a seperate post :))! It's perfect for a little boy, of course, but how cute would it be in pinks for a precious little girl!

So, let's get started. Here's what you're going to need:

Onesie (whatever size you'd like)
Scrap Fabric (I used 4 different ones, but you can use whatever you want)
Sailboat Template, or template for whatever design you're using
Heat 'n Bond Fabric Adhesiive
Thread (can be matching or contrasting, your choice!)
Sewing Machine, notions, etc

And actually, this appliqued onesie can be done no-sew. You really don't have to top stitch the applique. I have made several t-shirts for the girls by just ironing on the applique (make sure you have the heavy duty heat 'n bond adhesive). The good thing about top stitching is that it definitely keeps the applique secured to the shirt much better through multiple washings. It also looks more professional. But, if you just want something quick for a picture or a one time occasion and you aren't comfortable sewing, just iron it right on, and you'll be set.

SO... here's what you do:

1. Draw and/or find a template of a sailboat, or whatever shape/design you're wanting to use. I just drew mine freehand, and actually surprised myself at how cute I thought it was! Use cardstock or heavy paper, and cut it out.


2. Trace your design onto the smooth side of the heat 'n bond adhesive paper. Make sure that if you're doing a letter, number, or any design with a specific direction that it needs to go in, that you trace the design onto the adhesive backwards. In the case of my sailboat, it didn't really matter. Once the design is traced on, cut it out around, but not right on, your design.


3. Iron your design onto the wrong side of your fabric. With my heat 'n bond, you just have to leave your iron directly on it for 2 seconds before it adheres to the fabric, but make sure you check the instructions.


4. Cut out your design and take the smooth paper off the back. Place onto the onesie wherever it's desired, and iron on. With mine, you iron directly onto the design and hold for 8 seconds, but again, check your instructions to be sure.



5. At this point, if you're doing this the no-sew way, you're done! Enjoy! But if you're adding the finishing topstitch, you can do it a few different ways. The way I typically do it is just a straight stitch close to the edge. It's cute, easy and kind of shabby-chic. If you're concerned about fraying, you can do a zig zag stitch along the edge of the applique. And you can use a thread that matches the fabric of your applique, or you can use a contrasting thread so it's more visible. I am lazy, and hate changing my thread, so I almost always use white. Plus I like how a contrast looks, so it works for me. And especially since I use a straight stitch around the edge which is a little less visible anyway, I want it to be more obvious that there is a topstitch on the applique.


See the stitch? :) I especially like the white on the sailboat.


And you're done! The onesie is complete! :)


I can hardly wait to see Little Bennett in this sweet onesie! You can use this tutorial in about a ton of different ways, with a million different applique designs. And of course, you don't have to stick with onesies, you can use this method on t-shirts, for pillows, on tote bags (one of the things I plan to do for the girls for "big sister bags" :)), pillowcases, the options are endless! But, of course, making sweet little onesies for my babies are my fave. :)

So good luck making some sweet shirts for your little ones! They also make ADORABLE gifts bundled with a matching burp cloth! Tutorial on those coming verrrrrrrry soon! :)



Enjoy!!

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Love this!!! I will try it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are really simple and fun! :)

      Delete
  2. Omigosh. You blow my mind. These are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I would so pay you for the gift sets with the burp cloth!! You are SO crafty!! I made a car seat canopy and had the hardest time but it works :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Krystin! I will be adding the onesies and the burp cloth/onesie sets to my etsy shop, Goat & Lulu, hopefully by the end of the week. So if you really need some for gifts, check them out there!! :)

      Delete
    2. Ooh! Could you add a bib to the gift set?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I definitely could add a bib to the gift set! Good idea! I actually just finished some, so I'll add those too!

      Delete
    4. Yes, I definitely could add a bib to the gift set! Good idea! I actually just finished some, so I'll add those too!

      Delete
    5. Great! Also, I know I'd love a changing pad (think oversized burp cloth) I could just throw in my purse and then into the washing machine.

      Delete
    6. Another great idea! I could do that for sure! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...